Traditional Lip Enhancements Q&A
Injectable lip filler enhancements are one of the most popular treatments in the aesthetics industry. With celebrities and influencers opting for lip fillers to achieve their A-list look, this is a trend that isn’t going away any time soon.
What are the benefits of lip fillers?
Lip fillers are an alternative to surgical lip augmentation with minimal downtime and long-lasting results. Not only do the hyaluronic acid fillers give immediate lifting and plumping effects, they also provide hydration to rejuvenate the skin and lip tissues from the inside.
As we age we naturally lose the volume from our lips so lip filler treatments are a quick and easy way to restore a youthful appearance.
How long do lip fillers last?
The results of your lip filler treatment can last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years depending on how much filler is injected and how fast your metabolism breaks it down.
Regular top up treatments can help maintain your look for longer and may be required every 6 to 12 months.
How do lip fillers work?
During a lip filler treatment, your aesthetician will inject small amounts of hyaluronic acid filler horizontally into your lips and then massage it to spread it through the entire lip. The hyaluronic acid (HA) attracts water and can hold up to 1000 times its own weight in water. This helps to nourish and rejuvenate your lips from the inside while providing a great plumping effect.
In some treatments, Botox can also be used to relax the muscles around the lips and reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
Are lip injections painful?
Lip filler treatments are fast and easy with minimal discomfort. You may feel a slight pinching sensation and some soreness afterwards but these effects can be treated with ice packs and over-the-counter painkillers.
Lidocaine and topical anesthetic can also be given for further pain relief if required.
What types of fillers are used?
While there are many different lip filler brands, they all contain the same active ingredient – hyaluronic acid. Popular brand names include Juvederm, Secret Rose, Restylane.
How much does it cost?
In the UK, lip fillers cost anywhere from £200 to £2000 depending on how many treatments you require. The average cost is around £300 with regular top-ups each 6-12 months.
What should I do before having lip fillers?
During your consultation your aesthetician will tell you everything you need to do before and after your treatment including
- Avoid blood thinning medication such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- Avoid supplements such as St. John’s Wort, Gingko biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng, and Vitamin E.
- Don’t use topical retinoids or anti-ageing creams two days before your injections. This includes retinol, Glycolic Acid, and Tretinoin
- Avoid waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or using hair removal cream around the lip area
- Avoid alcohol 24 hours prior to your treatment (and 24 hours afterwards)
What should I do after having lip fillers?
To help the healing process after your lip filler treatment you should follow the advice listed below.
- Don’t drink through a straw as this can add extra pressure to your lips
- Eat foods that are easy to eat and chew so you don’t have to wipe around the injection sites
- Avoid extreme temperatures such as walk in freezers
- Don’t do too much exercise or strenuous exercise
- Avoid exfoliating the area for at least 24 hours
- Don’t get a facial massage for at least two weeks